Thursday, January 7, 2010

Best of 2009, and then some

2009 was not the best year for movies in recent memory, but it did produce some movies I will definitely talk about for years to come, as well as re-watch repeatedly. Here is my top five, plus an honorable mention and a handful of superlatives. This is absolutely a list of personal favorites and by no means a list of “films” that I expect to top all time lists any time soon. However, they all spoke to me for reasons I will try to explain. Plus, it’s my blog so I can list anything I damn well please.

5) Moon—Perhaps I should preface any list such as this with a mention of my deep and abiding love of science fiction. Part of that love is an early bonding experience with my father over Heinlein books, but the bulk of it is the way the best science fiction uses fantastical settings and new technologies to demonstrate truths about the present. I’m hesitant to explain the ways in which Moon really uses the sci-fi genre to its highest potential because I firmly believe going in blind gives you the most impact, as well as the most respect for Sam Rockwell’s subdued performance. I truly hope this movie gets the appreciation on DVD its limited theatrical release held back from it.

4) In The Loop—The anglophile in me, combined with the lover of intelligent profanity, fell in love with this film immediately. Never in my memory has “fuck” been used as eloquently or artistically. Special credit goes to Peter Capaldi as the vulgar Scottish public relations expert we all wish we were. He is so proficient at his job he can literally tell his superiors to sodomize themselves with donkey genitalia, and not only not get fired, but also get the job done.

3) The Hurt Locker—I watched this preparing to appreciate it based on all the reviews I had read, but nothing more. In no way is this movie made for me. War movies have never been my bag, with the exception of satirical ones with a strident and obvious anti-war message. However, this movie really hit me. The performances, particularly Jeremy Renner as the lead, were strong. In addition, its theme of the subtle consequences of war and they way they spider-web out into the "real" lives of the participants and become something tangible and dangerous really reached the pacifist in me. The cinematography was breathtaking, simultaneously making the Middle East a place of monochromatic beauty and gritty terror. Finally, I was incredibly impressed that a woman directed The Hurt Locker. Not to sound sexist, but the trials and tribulations of an IED diffusing squad is testosterone-soaked territory. Nevertheless, Katherine Bigelow brought nuance to a film that could have easily been a jingoistic assault of the senses. In that, she reminded us of the faces at the forefront of the conflict.

2) Inglorious Basterds—It’s good to know Tarantino still has it. In most ways this is a distinctly Tarantino film. But it’s the risks he took which are why I rate this so highly. While watching this in the theatre I was literally flabbergasted at how much was subtitled. Knowing the American audience’s general attitude toward reading their movies, I have to applaud Tarantino and Universal for the verisimilitude. A film like this requires immersion and accented English, if we were lucky enough to get that (hello Valkyrie!), would have kept the viewer at a distance. In addition, despite Tarantino’s propensity for verbosity in his scripts, he truly used that talent to great reward here. The opening scene, clocking in around 25 minutes, was tense despite consisting of two men talking at a table over a glass of milk. Viewers walking in looking for a Tarantino shoot-em-up would have to exhibit great patience to get there. The bar scene deserves the same applause for the same reason. Never has watching polite conversation been so nerve-wracking.

1) District 9—Man oh man did this movie hit me. Whether or not Ebert and his ilk are speaking of this in ten years, I most certainly will be. I tried to prepare readers for my love of science fiction in the Moon entry, but it applies most strongly in this piece. Applying apartheid and immigration fears to the idea of extra-terrestrials struggling to make a home on earth is exactly why I loved this movie. The social commentary may have been a little to on the nose for some folks, but these are issues that are skirted around so often it’s time someone made a film that pointed at the perpetrators and made them pay attention. Plus, I love a good summer blockbuster/action extravaganza as much as the next guy, provided it’s more than just a typical summer blockbuster/action extravaganza. District 9 fit that bill quite nicely. The pacing was spot on, the performances were riveting, and the story was one that deserves the highest praise. And who can hate a summer action film that has the viewers rooting for the aliens killing all the humans in the sequel?

Honorable Mention) A Serious Man—Can the Coen brothers do any wrong? This is another stylistically impeccable movie that manages to touch on larger truths while still being an incredibly dark comedy. The fact that this tale was so close to the Coen’s hearts (as evidenced in several interviews) only adds to its strengths. Even a lapsed Catholic like me could see Larry Gopnik’s struggle as that of Job, as well as the filmmaker’s concern for their main character. This concern mirrors what many of the faith see as God’s love for Job, despite the trials he put him through. In addition, as a supporter of ambiguous endings I wholeheartedly embraced this movie.

Best Male Performance) Christoph Waltz in Inglorious Basterds—Hands down this is the best male performance of the year. Waltz made a self-described and Nazi-employed Jew Hunter sympathetic. He had better win every bullshit statue out there. For reals.

Best Female Performance) Mo’Nique in Precious—It’s clichéd, and I take solace in the fact that this stuck-up bitch won’t be taking home a statuette, but goddamn was this a hell of a transformation into a beast of a woman. And I will definitely give her credit for that.

Best Scene) The Opening Credits of Watchmen--Here is what the movie should have been, a concise and stylistic summary of a dense graphic novel, set to period appropriate music that made the point without bludgeoning the viewer over the head with it.

Funniest Scene) The post-coital Hall and Oates danceathon in (500) Days of Summer—Yowzas did this make my friends and I giggle profusely during an otherwise meh movie. For me personally it was the combination of Joseph Gordon-Levitt’s character seeing his reflection as Han Solo and him hitting the home run. Dynamite.

Most Tense Scene) The hotel room scene in Humpday—Again, I don’t want to ruin the premise for anyone who hasn’t seen this yet, but this was tenser than anything in that bullshit Paranormal Activity. This is “Will they or won’t they?” tension to the extreme.

Funniest Movie) The Hangover—By no means perfect, but terribly, terribly funny. Plus, it got funnier on a second viewing which really bodes well for its timelessness status. This movie also proves Zack Galifinakis should be given everything amazing in Hollywood. He stole every scene he was in, and somehow a few he was nowhere near. And thanks to him I now know that tigers love pepper.

Prettiest Movie) Avatar—It was beautiful and not nearly the train-wreck it could have been. The fact that I legitimately felt like I could reach out and pluck parts of the scenery out of the air in front of me is all I need to give this movie this superlative.

Most squandered premise) Tie—The Invention of Lying and Paranormal Activity—The main reason I disliked the latter movie is the same as why I hated The Blair Witch Project and Open Water; real people suck and are boring to watch. I hated that couple, just from listening to their “real people” fights and problems, so much that I could not wait for the demon to eat them both. In fact, I began rooting for the demon! Plus, the very nature of them filming themselves at night robbed the movie of any suspense since it became very obvious very quickly when “scary” shit was about to happen. This could have been fantastic, but the filmmakers obviously got so caught up in their fantastic idea they lost all perspective. So I am forced to call shenanigans on the whole project. And then there’s The Invention of Lying. Ricky Gervais is awkward comedy genius personified. Atheism was presented so smartly that The Invention of Lying was properly brilliant for a solid 2/3 of the way through. But then Hollywood reared its ugly head and insisted on shoving in a romantic subplot which completely bogged down the end of the movie. (I call this the Idiocracy paradox.) So we are left with a fantastic premise and a horribly botched execution. Which hurts more than just a dull movie because the lingering promise of that brilliant premise reminds of the movie we could have seen.

Biggest Disappointment) Watchmen—See Best Scene entry. This proves that it is possible to do everything right and still get everything wrong.

Movies I Did Not See (That may have ended up in this blog entry)—Just to put some perspective on this list.
• Nine
• The Lovely Bones
• Good Hair
• An Education
• Pirate Radio
• The Men Who Stare at Goats
• Bright Star
• 9
• Big Fan
• Public Enemies
• Antichrist


9 comments:

  1. So what's your opinion? Do you agree or disagree? Did I miss your favorite or diss your favorite? I want to start a dialogue about movies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our tastes seem to differ a bit when it comes to movies, but of the ones on your list that I did see, here are some thoughts:

    1) District 9: Amazing. Bonus points to the director & producers for how sympathetically they shot the aliens; when Wickus (sp?) goes on his rampage in the alien powered armor, I spent less time worrying about the humans he kills/maims and more time wondering how much fun it would be if I could get my hands on that little toy.

    2) WRT Tarantino, I think many folks tend to forget that his roots are more along the lines of the tense, verbose scenes than the violence. Certainly, the fact that he includes over-the-top violence in most of his films is what gets the most attention from the chattering classes, but the scenes I remember best are the ones where there's more talking than action (the hitmen from Pulp Fiction recovering the briefcase & the restaurant aftermath, and Bill & the Bride's conversation at the end of Kill Bill come to mind here). I won't pretend that I can pick up on all of the subtext involved in his films, but I do appreciate the effort that goes into making such "boring" (i.e. non-action) scenes absolutely _shine_.

    3) Watchmen: *sigh* What could have been. I agree that the opening sequence was _brilliant_ - made more so by the fact that there's absolutely no spoken dialogue, and yet, we very clearly understand what's happening...and often, why its happening. I'll give them credit for making a pretty movie (Dr. Manhatten's crystal timepiece/ship/home/??? on Mars, and most of the ending sequence), but they did hit something of a sour note in this film. I'm perfectly willing to sit through a pretty movie that makes no pretentions to intelligence (Transformers, for example) or one that does both well (Avatar, though I suppose one could argue that the story was only passable - still, well exectued), but its when a film tries to go the latter route and fails when it could easily (and safely) gone the former route that it becomes especially grating. I also have a natural dislike of films that try to add "intelligence" by pretending to be based in science, but fail miserably (the recent slew of disaster movies, for example - though in its defense, 2012 was actually not a serious offender here). But that's a mostly separate issue.

    4) Speaking of 2012, I'd nominate the destruction of L.A. for best scene, but that has more to do with my dislike of Hollywood-centric culture...

    5) 9 was a decent movie, but rather weird. The visuals and mechanical designs were quite interesting, but again, the movie itself was weird. There was quite a bit of metaphysical jargon floating around, and I'm not sure I entirely got it. OTOH, its Tim Burton, so I'm not sure that "getting it" is the point of the movie, anyways.

    6) Wanted to see Public Enemies, but never got around to it. Haven't heard an up or down assessment of it, so I really don't have anything to go on here. Michael Mann is a hit-or-miss director...sometimes, his work is brilliant (Heat, for example - also a good example of the talky scene being one of the most compelling - unless, of course, you have no interest in seeing DeNiro and Pacino face-to-face), but other times it falls flat (Miami Vice, anyone?) Not sure if this one falls into the former or latter category, though I suppose the fact I haven't heard much in the way of glowing praise for the movie means that it likely falls into the latter category, or close to it.

    7) The rest of the films I saw this year definitely fall into the "pretty but brainless" category, so they're probably not worth mentioning...

    ReplyDelete
  3. @J-Your comments on Tarantino are spot-on, even though my memories of Kill Bill have nothing to do with that scene and everything to do with the flash and panache of the fights, but his dialogue always gets drowned out by the violence. Which is a shame, because when he edits himself well his dialogue is intense and memorable. Inglorious Basterds is an example of that kind of writing.

    And Zack Snyder can direct the hell of some opening credits. (See the remake of Dawn of the Dead for another solid example.) But Watchmen was too in love with its source material to make the kind of smart directorial choices needed to translate something that dense. Snyder needed to do more than just use the book as a storyboard. As far as Jackie Earle Haley's performance went toward salvaging it, Malin Ackerman dragged it right back down again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't hold back. You'll ruin a bad movie by revealing the plot or outcome but then you'll hold back on the good movies. I'm here to read your blog not to watch movies. Tell the story and go over the edge. Write harder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Shon I hate when people ruin movies for me so I refuse to do it for others. Plus, in this era of quick information and instant access it's nice to maintain that element of surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So I just saw Zombieland at the Arlington Drafthouse (a fantastic movie theater with cheap booze and food). A great time and could possibly give Shaun of the Dead a run for its money (my opinion, probably not yours).

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Pete I love love loved Zombieland. I'm kind of regretting not making a category for Most Fun to Watch. Thanks for making me feel bad. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Becky, I totally wrote a novel last night, commenting on your blog, and it's gone.Anyway, great blog, I agree with a lot of what you think. Umm...I feel it is my duty to tell you to run as far away from Anti-Christ as you possibly can. I suppose some of the movie could be considered "visually stunning", but, it was so god awful, the visuals can't make up for it's crappiness. If on the other hand you would like to watch a movie whose opening scene is a penis going in and out of a vagina while a 2 year old falls out of a 4 story window, then high-tail it to your nearest Blockbuster.
    District 9 made me cry my eyes out.I really appreciated the social commentary without shoving it down my throat.
    Inglorious Basterds is Tarentino back at his genius best (now if he could only teach M. Night Shamalyan how to get back to that level, the world would be a beautiful place).And Christopher Waltz kicked some serious acting ass!Brad Pitt...(insert shoulder shrug here)Ehhh...
    I have not seen Humpday, but, I may need to disagree with your choice of most tense scene, I think that needs to go to either the opening scene of Inglorious Basterds, or the opening scene of The Hurt Locker.
    The Hurt Locker was insane...and a female director, gotta love it.
    (500)Days of Summer made me fall in love with Joseph Gordon-Levitt, as well as his hosting of SNL. Did you see that? INCREDIBLE!!
    Anyway, I'm an official "follower" of your blog.
    I love it! I can't wait to see what happens at the Globes tonight!
    Love ya, Miss ya!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Liz-See Humpday. Trust me, that hotel room scene will have you on the edge of your seat.

    And yay for following my blog! Send folks over. I really want this blog to be something worth showing to prospective employers and I think a proper fan base is a big part of turning it into something great.

    ReplyDelete